North Battleford couple speaking out on carbon monoxide dangers
Gail and Jim Sack recovering after carbon monoxide poisoning in their home
Gail Sack knows she is lucky to be alive and is now speaking out about a silent killer.
The North Battleford woman and her husband, Jim, nearly died last month in their home from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Gail's sister found them unconscious in bed, 45 minutes away from a fatal dose.
It's a very small, out-of-pocket expense to save your life that's for sure.- Gail Sack on the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
"The levels that were in our blood stream were quite high. So doctors were watching to make sure we didn't have any problems with our hearts or having seizures," Gail told CBC News Thursday.
Doctors treated the couple by sending them to the province's only hyperbaric chamber in Moose Jaw.
"Well, the very first treatment was quite unnerving," Gail said. "But once you become equalized with the pressure, then it's just fine. It's like a normal breathing atmosphere."
The experience has made Gail determined to share her story and encourage people to install carbon monoxide detectors.
"I'm quite vocal now about having them in your home. And not only having them in your home but checking them regularly to make sure they're working properly," she said.
Gail and Jim Sack now have three detectors in their home. Both are feeling better after receiving treatment.
She hopes people will take a simple step to ensure their safety.
"It's a very small, out-of-pocket expense to save your life that's for sure."