'Best of the best': Work begins on turf at new Mosaic Stadium
FieldTurf company has installed playing surfaces for NFL, NCAA football stadiums
The playing surface is currently being installed at the new Mosaic Stadium.
Revolution 360 – the type of field surface being installed at the stadium – is designed and manufactured by FieldTurf. The company, based in the United States, has installed turf in a number of NFL and NCAA football stadiums. According to the company's website, FieldTurf installed the same Revolution 360 playing surface at Princeton University this year.
The new Mosaic Stadium will be the first in the Canadian Football League to feature the Revolution 360 playing surface.
Did you hear? New Mosaic Stadium's <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldTurf">@FieldTurf</a> has arrived & installation has begun! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFL?src=hash">#CFL</a><br><br>🎥: <a href="https://t.co/pWbXV5JOWZ">https://t.co/pWbXV5JOWZ</a><a href="https://t.co/GvfGbLvGLf">https://t.co/GvfGbLvGLf</a>—@sskroughriders
Kevin Pipe, a representative from FieldTurf, said its product is the "best of the best of the best," and the field being put in the new Mosaic Stadium is even more advanced.
"This version of the product, which is our latest tweaking of the product, is a more durable, softer fibre, which is even better than what we've had before. There is nothing better that we offer."
From a player safety perspective, Pipe said, playing surfaces have never been as safe as they are now.
"I grew up playing both football and soccer and I called it 'fuzzy concrete,' " Pipe said when asked how it compares to turf in the past. "That type of fuzzy concrete, which I still have the scars on my hips to prove it, was basically a nylon fibre with no infill that was laid usually on asphalt or concrete surfaces. It's quite frankly what ended a lot of players' careers back in the '60s, '70s, and '80s."
The first test for the playing surface will take place Oct. 1, when the University of Regina Rams and the University of Saskatchewan Huskies take to the field.
The new turf is expected to be fully installed in five weeks.
- Other notable FieldTurf projects include Gillette Stadium home of the New England Patriots, CenturyLink Field home of the Seattle Seahawks and Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana.
- Approximately 10 FieldTurf staff will be part of the installation of the turf.
- Installation will take approximately 1300 hours.
- The turf was delivered in 44 rolls.
- Approximately 30,000 recycled tires were used in the new Mosaic stadium turf.
- The turf includes 842,061,312 fiber blades.
- Once complete, the field will weigh over 561 tonnes.
- The size of the playing surface at new Mosaic Stadium totals 121,826 square feet