Jerry Constant sentenced to life in prison for murder of Karina Wolfe

Jerry Constant has pleaded guilty in the death of Karina Wolfe, whose remains were found near Saskatoon this winter.

WARNING: Story contains graphic details

Jerry Constant is led into court Friday afternoon. (Dan Zakreski/CBC News)

A Saskatoon man has pleaded guilty in the death of Karina Wolfe, 20, after her remains were found in a marshy area northwest of the city this winter.

Jerry Constant, 33, pleaded guilty in the Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench to second-degree murder and offering an indignity to human remains.

Judge Gerald Albright sentenced Constant to life in prison with no chance of parole until 14 years has been served. The judge also sentenced Constant to five years for indignity to human remains, to be served at the same time as the life sentence.

Wolfe went missing in July 2010. Police found her remains in November 2015, five years after she became one of Canada's missing Indigenous women. 

"Some people have said at least there's closure," Carol Wolfe, Karina's mother, said following court proceedings on Friday. She is hearing impaired and spoke with the aid of an interpreter.

"There is no closure," she said. "There never will be because a part of our soul will never be with us."

Constant charged in 2015

Shortly after Wolfe's body was discovered, police arrested and charged Constant.

On Friday, court heard that Constant picked up Wolfe for sex on the night of July 2, 2010. The two engaged in oral sex in Constant's vehicle and then went back to his apartment. 

Karina Wolfe went missing in July 2010. Police found her remains in November 2015. (Saskatoon Police)

Court heard that Wolfe, still clothed, was strangled by Constant. Afterward, Constant watched a movie, Mr. Brooks. Constant then stripped Wolfe and cleaned her body in his bathtub.

The next morning, Constant wrapped Wolfe's body in garbage bags. Her body was put in a plastic tub and placed in the back of Constant's pickup truck. 

The court heard that Constant drove her body outside of Saskatoon and threw it in water. 

Mother left 'shattered'

Throughout Friday's proceedings, Constant — who was brought into the courtroom wearing shackles on his feet — was expressionless.

Carol Wolfe and other family members, in the front row public seating in court, were heard sobbing from time to time.

Wolfe's mother also addressed Constant during the proceedings, through her victim impact statement.

"Jerry, what you did shattered my family," she said in the statement. "Shattered my heart, spirit, my soul. And then you left her like garbage."

"I cannot make sense why you did this to my beautiful daughter. Jerry, I will never be able to understand why you murdered my daughter," she said in her statement.

Constant's troubled past

Constant has previous convictions for assault and sexual assault. The Crown prosecutor said Constant showed up at the city police station on Nov. 10 "very distraught and hearing voices."

He gave officers information that led them to the discovery of Wolfe's remains.

Earlier this year, Constant underwent a mental health assessment and was found fit to stand trial.

Wolfe's family has been active in the community since her disappearance. Her mother, Carol, held multiple vigils and walks over the years, trying to draw attention to her case. 

Her family said Wolfe had been living a high-risk lifestyle at the time of her disappearance and described her as a talented painter and writer.

The CBC's Devin Heroux is in court tweeting events as they happen. On mobile? Click here.