Court document reveals new details about school shooting in La Loche, Sask.

A joint statement of facts presented at the sentencing hearing for the teen who killed four people and injured seven others at a Saskatchewan school on Jan. 22, 2016, reveals new details.

WARNING: This story contains graphic details

RCMP officers arrive at court in Meadow Lake, Sask., where a sentencing hearing is being held for the teen responsible for the school shooting in La Loche. (Amber Bracken/Canadian Press)

The night before a Saskatchewan teen killed four people and injured seven others in La Loche, he used his iPad to search "What does it feel like to kill someone." 

Less than 24 hours later, he knew that feeling intimately. 

The teen who was 17 at the time of the shootings — and can't be named due to provisions in the Youth Criminal Justice Act, pleaded guilty in October to two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of second-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder. 

He has been in custody since his arrest— spending the majority of his time at Kilburn Hall in Saskatoon.

His sentencing hearing is now underway in Meadow Lake, Sask., to determine whether he should serve time as a youth or an adult. 

How events unfolded in the remote Dene village of about 3,000 people is contained in a joint statement of facts presented to the court this past week. 

Members of the RCMP stand outside the La Loche Community School on Jan. 25, 2016. (Jonathan Hayward/Canadian Press)

Regular school day 

The shooter woke up and went to school on Jan. 22, 2016. The quiet student attended classes at La Loche Community School that morning. During class, however, his mind was drifting to violence. 

He used his iPhone to search the names Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold — the two infamous shooters in the 1999 Columbine school shooting in Littleton, Colo., that left 15 dead (including the shooters) and injured 24.

The teen also looked up two kinds of guns — Savage Arms and Tech 9. 

He had a meeting with a teacher about his poor grades, and they agreed to meet later that day. 

The teen never made that meeting. 

Killing spree begins 

He went home for lunch. Once inside his house, he went into his bedroom and grabbed some ammunition. 

He then went to the home of Drayden and Dayne Fontaine, where 17-year-old Dayne was eating lunch alone in the house. 

The shooter went into Dayne's bedroom and took a .22-calibre rifle. 

A short while later, he called for Dayne to "come here." 

Dayne came down the stairs and asked the teen, "What are you doing?" When the boy raised the rifle, Dayne said, "Don't shoot me."

Brothers Dayne Fontaine, 17, left, and Drayden Fontaine, 13, were found shot to death inside a home in La Loche. (Facebook)

The teen fired one shot. Dayne screamed and ran upstairs with the teen following, shooting him multiple times in the back. 

Dayne was lying bleeding on the kitchen floor when he begged for his life one last time. The teen shot and killed him. 

The boy then went downstairs and found a shotgun, the gun he would later use to kill another three people and wound seven others. 

He also found the keys to a truck inside the house. When he went outside, he saw 13-year-old Drayden, Dayne's younger brother, running toward the truck. 

The scene outside the Fontaine home after the bodies of two brothers were found. (Matt Kruchak/CBC)

The teen told Drayden to follow him into the house. There he shot the boy twice, killing him. 

The shooter went back outside and got into the truck. At this point he took time to send some text messages. 

  • "im done with life." 
  • "just killed 2 ppl"
  • "bout to shoot ip the school"

School rampage begins 

It was 1:02 p.m. CST when the armed teen drove into the school parking lot. He walked into the school, first without a gun, looked around the common area and then left. On his way he saw a group of his friends but he didn't speak to them. 

He then grabbed the shotgun from the truck, stuffed ammunition in his pockets and re-entered the school where 150 students and teachers were going about their normal day. 

Seeing the gun, students started to run. The teen started firing. He fired at least three shots as he entered the main entrance. Some of the pellets hit a young football star in the chest.

He shot another student in the chest and right arm and a third in the stomach and left calf. 

An RCMP officer in the school in La Loche (Don Somers/CBC)

Teacher Adam Wood went to the school's office and called 911.

The boy then took aim at Phyllis Longobardi, the school's assistant principal. His first shot missed, but the second struck her in the right forearm and wrist. 

Longobardi ran into a nearby classroom and closed the door. She, too, called police. 

After turning away from Longobardi, the teen aimed and fired at another student through the main entrance doorway. She was hit by shattering glass and pellets on the left side of her body. 

The teen then went to the school's main office, where he found Wood. He shot the teacher once in the stomach at close range. After Wood fell to the floor, the shooter took aim again. The second shot would prove to be fatal. 

After leaving Wood bleeding on the floor of the school office, the teen began stalking the hallways, checking doors and looking through windows. 

He fired into one classroom, hitting substitute teacher Charlene Klyne who was sitting at her desk. Teacher's aide Marie Janvier rushed to help Klyne and was shot in the neck and chest. She died of her wounds. 

After shooting Janvier, the teen continued to walk the hallways, gun in hand. 

Marie Janvier and Adam Wood were also victims of the teen shooter. (Facebook)

At one point he saw a student running and chased after him. The shooter ran after the student but wasn't able to catch him.

The teen's final victim would be teacher Christie Montgrand, who was shot in the back in her classroom. She survived. 

He then went back to the common area of the school where he fired one last shot into a display case, shattering the glass.

By this point, a lone RCMP officer had entered the school, gun drawn, searching for the shooter. For three minutes he searched the school.

Police investigators gather evidence at the La Loche Community School on Jan. 23, 2016. (Jason Franson/The Canadian Press)

The shooter was actually alone in a school washroom. He had one shotgun shell left and would later admit to contemplating suicide. 

Instead, after a few moments, he set the gun down and left it leaning against a sink counter. He exited the washroom and found the police officer, telling him, "I'm the shooter." 

He was arrested. 

While being escorted out of the school in handcuffs, he told police that they should check the home of Drayden and Dayne Fontaine.