Saskatoon

In rare reversal, fired cop cleared of assault charges officially reinstated into Saskatoon Police Service

Jarett Gelowitz, legally cleared of three on-duty assault charges, will go on administrative duty until police Chief Troy Cooper decides otherwise.

Jarett Gelowitz to remain on administrative duty until police chief decides otherwise

In a rare move, Jarett Gelowitz, seen here on the left in a blue tie and suit, has been welcomed back to the force after a year in which he was legally cleared of three alleged on-duty assaults. (Guy Quenneville/CBC)

It's official: Jarett Gelowitz is once again a police officer with the Saskatoon Police Service. 

In a rare move, Gelowitz has been welcomed back to the force after a year in which he was legally cleared of three alleged on-duty assaults and the police service was — at least until this past weekend — prepared to argue in a hearing against his return to the force.

On Tuesday afternoon, a Police Act hearing officer signed and approved a consent order calling for Gelowitz's reinstatement, following negotiations this past weekend between lawyers for Gelowitz and the police service. 

"He is happy to finally put this behind him and is now focused on getting back to work," said Gelowitz's lawyer, Brad Mitchell.

Dean Pringle, the president of the Saskatoon Police Association — which strongly advocated for Gelowitz's return — said he has never heard of such a reversal at the Saskatoon Police Service during his 18 years with the force. 

But Gelowitz will not return to on-street duty, according to the terms of the consent order which were read out at his hearing Monday.

Instead, he will be placed on administrative duty until police Chief Troy Cooper deems him fit for active duty again.

Discreditable conduct 

Four disciplinary offences will remain on Gelowitz's record for two to five years, as part of the consent order. 

Those offences, which Gelowitz admitted to, included:

  • Neglect of duty and discreditable conduct relating to a purse he received at the service centre.
  • Discreditable conduct for the removal and destruction of a picture from the workspace of a special constable.
  • Neglect of duty for failing to show up for work.

Gelowitz also admitted to abuse of authority by "using excessive force" during the arrest of Aaron Cooke in early 2017.

That arrest was the subject of one of two on-duty assault charges that the Crown withdrew against Gelowitz earlier this year. A third assault charge was heard during a trial that ended with Gelowitz's acquittal last month. 

One group, the John Howard Society of Saskatchewan, has questioned whether Gelowitz's return will work against the public trust the Saskatoon Police Service has worked hard to gain in recent years.

The Saskatoon Police Service has said it would comment once the agreement was approved. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Guy Quenneville

Reporter at CBC Ottawa, originally from Cornwall, Ont.

Story tips? Email me at guy.quenneville@cbc.ca or DM me @gqinott on Twitter.

now