Coroner's inquest called for Saskatoon man who died after police chase, arrest
Jordan Lafond, 21, died after being taken into custody in 2016
A public inquest is coming up into the death of Jordan Lafond, a man who died after he was arrested in 2016.
On Oct. 23, 2016, Saskatoon police were chasing a stolen truck when it crashed into a fence near Bethlehem Catholic High School.
When police approached the vehicle, they found the 21-year-old man underneath the rear of the truck. Police believed Lafond had been thrown from the truck during the crash, but wasn't run over.
Police said Lafond resisted arrest and an officer used his knee to subdue the man.
After his arrest, Lafond was taken to hospital. He died the next day.
One month later, Saskatoon police launched an investigation into Lafond's death to find out whether an officer's use of force contributed to his death.
At the time, the officer involved was assigned to administrative duties while the investigation took place. The officer eventually returned to duty in January 2017.
Lafond's family, as well as the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, became involved in the case and asked for an investigation.
A spokesperson from the Saskatoon Police Service said the coroner's inquest will incorporate the police investigation into its findings.
Inquests are held whenever there is an in-custody death. The inquest will establish who died, when and where that person died, and the cause of death.
The inquest will be held March 5-9 at the Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench.