Accused teen killer arrested with machete days after death of Hailey Belanger-Weeseekase

A 15-year-old girl charged with 2nd-degree-murder was arrested with a machete five days after the death of Hailey Belanger-Weeseekase.

15-year-old picked up five days after victim's body found in car

Police say Hailey Belanger-Weeseekase's death was a homicide. (Submitted by Tamara Weeseekase)

A 15-year-old girl now charged with second-degree murder was picked up by Saskatoon police on July 16 carrying a concealed machete.

The teen cannot be named because of her age.

Police arrested her five days after finding the body of 19-year-old Hailey Belanger-Weeseekase in a car parked in a lot on the 3700 block of Diefenbaker Drive. Belanger-Weeseekase's death is the city's sixth homicide of 2020.

The teen appeared in Saskatoon provincial court Monday and was formally charged with murder. She'll return to youth court Tuesday to learn whether she'll be represented by Legal Aid.

The 15-year-old was charged with killing Belanger-Weeseekase while remanded at the Kilburn Hall Youth Centre on the charges of possessing and concealing the machete.

The teen appeared briefly by video on Monday.

At roughly 3:30 p.m. CST on July 11, officers responding to reports of a dead woman outside of an apartment block found Belanger-Weeseekase dead. 

A memorial to Hailey Belanger-Weeseekase sits near where the 19-year-old's body was found by Saskatoon police. (Dan Zakreski/CBC)

Angel Keepness, who has been living in the area for about two years, told CBC she saw the woman in the back seat of a red vehicle with several others driving by her apartment at a high rate of speed, noting it appeared the back window of the vehicle was "smashed out."

Twenty minutes later, Keepness said the sound of police sirens brought her to the back of the building. That's when she witnessed an officer trying to save the woman's life.

"She looked really pale. She wasn't breathing. She had jeans on, a black shirt. She looked really young. She looked really pale," said Keepness. 

"She looked pretty gone."

Keepness said the vehicle appeared to have sustained some damage, with the back window completely gone. She said the officer on scene appeared to do everything they could to save the woman's life. 

"Oh goodness, it was probably like 30 minutes until the ambulance got there," she said, noting the scene brought her to tears. "He was just going and going and going and then when the ambulance finally arrived, they said that she had no pulse and that's when I couldn't watch anymore."

Police have not said how Belanger-Weeseekase died.

About the Author

Dan Zakreski is a reporter for CBC Saskatoon.