Vandals burn mini-library in Regina
A Regina woman says she is saddened but not giving up after somebody burned the public book box in front of her home.
Dennie Fornwald woke up Sunday morning to discover the Free Little Library and its contents had been destroyed by fire.
"Luckily, a friend of ours saw it ... coming home late at night and phoned the fire department and they put it out," she said.
The microwave oven-sized trading post had been installed at the front of Fornwald's Heritage-area home earlier this year and quickly became a hit with neighbours.
During the summer, at least 10 people visited the little library each day.
A grant from the Heritage Community Association helped pay for the trading post, along with two similar boxes for trading goods in the neighbourhood southeast of the downtown.
Fornwald says she's received several offers of donated supplies and money.
"People really want to see a little library here," Fornwald said. "We're going to have to do it again."