Tuition fees increased at University of Saskatchewan

Tuition fees are being increased at the University of Saskatchewan.

U of S says the average increase is 2.4 per cent

Tuition fees are going up at the University of Saskatchewan. (CBC )

Tuition fees are being increased at the University of Saskatchewan by an average of 2.4 per cent, according to the Saskatoon-based institution.

The increases are set to take effect for the upcoming academic year. A typical student in the college of arts and science will pay tuition of $5,790.

Saskatchewan's minister of advanced education, Kevin Doherty, said Wednesday he has asked all post-secondary institutions to make financial plans that take into account the possibility that provincial funding may not be increased in the next budget. Doherty said the budget has not been finalized and the province is watching oil prices.

"We as a government believe that students should contribute to their post-secondary education," Doherty added. "Taxpayers already contribute a great deal. At the University of Saskatchewan it's upwards of 62 per cent of their total operating revenues [which] come from the taxpayers of this province, which is the second-highest in Canada."

The tuition hikes at the U of S were announced now, the university said, in order to give students time to plan ahead.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?