SaskEnergy, Town of Regina Beach sued over 2014 gas explosion
Residents who say their properties were damaged also suing owners of home that exploded
People in Regina Beach whose homes were damaged in a December 2014 natural gas explosion have launched a negligence lawsuit.
The six residents and a company that owns property are suing SaskEnergy, the town and six people who owned the house that exploded, according to a statement of claim filed earlier this week at Saskatoon Court of Queen's Bench.
The plaintiffs say SaskEnergy, the provincially owned gas company, should have known that Regina Beach had problems with shifting soil that could rupture its gas lines.
They allege the company failed to regularly inspect, monitor, service of test the condition of the gas line that leaked.
Similarly, the claim says the town should have known that there were soil stability issues affecting the land surrounding the house at 217 1st St. E.
Regina Beach is about 50 kilometres northwest of Regina.
The plaintiffs allege the owners of the house failed to implement any warning devices and failed to ensure that nothing on their property could ignite gas from a gas leak.
The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified damages, plus interest and legal costs.
A statement of claim contains allegations that have not yet been proven in court. Statements of defence haven't been filed yet.