Saskatchewan

Sask. surpasses Ontario in per capita COVID-19 deaths, now 4th-highest province

Premier Scott Moe encouraged media to look at the entirety of the pandemic rather than the most recent rates.

The Morning Edition's Stefani Langenegger goes one-on-one with Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe

1 year ago
Duration 12:51
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe talks to The Morning Edition's Stefani Langenegger about the province's current COVID-19 situation

As the fourth wave of the pandemic in Saskatchewan continues, the province has now surpassed Ontario in per capita COVID-19-related deaths. 

As of Tuesday, the province has recorded 67.2 deaths per 100,000 people since the pandemic began, according to data from the federal government.

That leaves Saskatchewan's rate virtually tied with Alberta's, which as of Tuesday had reported 67.3 deaths per 100,000 people. 

Only two other provinces — Quebec and Manitoba  — have higher per capita death rates.


Ontario has reported 66 deaths per 100,000 people.

The news comes as Saskatchewan remains the province with the highest rate of COVID-19 deaths and cases over the past 14 days, according to data from Health Canada

During a Tuesday interview with CBC Radio's The Morning Edition, Premier Scott Moe was asked about implementing further restrictions, as Alberta has done in the face of a deepening fourth wave. 

"Well, we don't do everything that Alberta has done. We have, you know, charted somewhat of a different path here in Saskatchewan," Moe said.

"You've got the highest death rate in the country," host Stefani Langenegger responded.

"If you look back throughout the COVID pandemic, that just simply isn't true," Moe said.

"You've got the highest death in the country right now," Langenegger responded.

"Are we having a challenge as we find our way through the fourth wave of COVID 19 in Saskatchewan? Most certainly we are. I think that is obvious with the decision that we have made yesterday," Moe said. 

"But as we look ahead with the tools that we have in Saskatchewan and we look at the trajectory of the numbers here in the province, I think the Saskatchewan situation is improving."

WATCH | Sask. premier says province should have moved faster during 4th wave:

Sask. Premier says province should have moved faster, as 6 ICU patients sent to Ont.

1 year ago
Duration 13:12
As Saskatchewan is transferring 6 ICU patients to Ontario, Premier Scott Moe admits that the province should have likely moved a week or two earlier on reenacting public health measures to curb the fourth wave.

The belief that Saskatchewan should look at the entirety of the pandemic, rather than the numbers that have been reported in the most recent wave, was a sentiment also offered by Health Minister Paul Merriman last week

COVID-19 case counts have dropped in Saskatchewan over recent weeks but hospitalizations and intensive care admissions have stayed relatively steady or continued climbing.

Health officials and experts have repeatedly said that hospitalizations and ICU admissions are lagging indicators, which means they could get worse before eventually improving.

In a statement provided to CBC News, the government of Saskatchewan offered its condolences to those who have lost a loved one to COVID-19. 

"The loss of any life to COVID-19 has a deep impact on families, friends and communities as a whole," the statement read. 

The province urged all eligible Saskatchewan residents to get vaccinated, as "high community vaccine uptake is key to protecting all of us."

The statement did not respond directly to questions posed by CBC News, including whether the premier's office takes any responsibility for Saskatchewan now surpassing Ontario for per capita COVID-19-related deaths. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Alexander Quon is a reporter with CBC Saskatchewan based in Regina. After working in Atlantic Canada for four years he's happy to be back in his home province. He has previously worked with the CBC News investigative unit in Nova Scotia and Global News in Halifax. Alexander specializes in data-reporting, COVID-19 and municipal political coverage. He can be reached at: Alexander.Quon@cbc.ca.

With files from CBC's The Morning Edition

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Account Holder

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now