Saskatchewan

Regina restaurant damaged in fire

A fire that may have been started by a cigarette caused extensive damage to a restaurant in Regina on Saturday.

Cigarette blamed for damaging blaze

A fire that may have been started by a cigarette caused extensive damage to a restaurant in Regina on Saturday.

The Regina Fire Department dispatched crews at 12:48 p.m. CT to Theo Bill's Pizza and Family Restaurant, which is located in a strip mall on Victoria Avenue.

A restaurant on Victoria Avenue was damaged in a fire. (Google Street View)

The fire appeared to have started at the rear of the building and was put out quickly.

Crews also checked on adjacent businesses to make sure the fire had not spread.

There were no injuries, the fire department said in a news release issued later in the day.

"A fire investigator has determined the fire was accidental and the cause was likely due to the inappropriate disposal of a cigarette," the department said.

"The estimated damage is between $75,000 to $100,000."

Traffic on Victoria Avenue was detoured for about 45 minutes.

now