Regina pet owner discovers hot dogs stuffed with broken razor shards
Woman finds tiny shards of metal embedded within 3 hot dogs in her yard
It started as any other day for Emma Medeiros as she took her pooches out to answer nature's call when she noticed discarded hot dogs in her yard that had not been there the day before.
She discovered about 15 tiny shards of metal embedded within three pieces of hot dog meat.
"It's a little shocking," she said. "It's scary."
Medeiros wonders what would be in store for her canine companions had she not discovered the dangerous food first, whether or not her dogs would be harmed or poisoned.
"There's just so many questions you have," Medeiros said, who has three dogs named Pandora, Ophelia and Penelope.
Medeiros took to Facebook about the incident. She also said she notified police and the Regina Humane Society.
Bill Thorn, director of marketing and public relations at the Regina Humane Society, said he hears of one or two similar incidents per year.
In those cases, it's usually cans of food, types of poison or most commonly food with objects in it. Thorn said animals rarely die from such events.
The Humane Society hasn't noticed any discernible pattern and they appear to be random, so he urged pet owners to be vigilant.
"I am definitely going to come out with my dogs every minute of the day now," Medeiros said, adding she's going to clean her yard daily to prevent something similar from happening in the future.
"It looks like it takes a lot of effort to do this," she said.
With files from Kendall Latimer and Radio-Canada's Raluca Tomulescu