Regina fire leaves 2 people dead

Two people have died and five others were treated for smoke inhalation after Regina firefighters battled a house fire Friday night.
Firefighters were called to the 1900 block of Montreal Street just after 10 p.m. Friday night. (CBC)

Regina fire officials say it was the misuse of lighting material around flammable products that caused a house fire in the city's core neighbourhood that left two people dead and five people suffering from smoke inhalation.

A call came in shortly after 10 p.m. about a house on the 1900 block of Montreal Street being engulfed in flames.

There were seven people in the house, two died from their injuries, three were treated in hospital and two were treated by emergency crews on scene and released.

"What I can tell you is that the fire was accidental, it is not suspicious," said Albert Headrick, with the Regina Fire Department.

Headrick said there were working smoke alarms in the home.

Person in home was sniffing, friend says

Alicia Langan, who lives near the fire scene, said she could only watch as firefighters battled the blaze.

"I couldn't believe it," said Langan. "I had to tell my friend to back up because we were afraid for it to explode."

Jenna Pasqua said she was in the home in question two days ago. The people inside were sniffing hairspray and smoking cigarettes, she said.

Pasqua said a friend of hers who lived in the home was holding a rag, used for sniffing, in one hand while smoking at the same time.

"I said, 'One smoke in your hand and you're using the other one to get high, you're going to get on fire … you're going to set on fire'," Pasqua said she told her friend.

"All of a sudden I get a phone call and I say, 'See, Dad? That is exactly what I just told her was going to happen,'" she said.

Fire officials said the fire started on the main level of the house just off the living room.

The estimated damage on the house that burned down is about $170,000.

The neighbouring house also caught on fire, but everyone from that home escaped unharmed. The damage on that home is estimated at $60,000.