No injuries in roof collapse at Regina strip mall
Heavy snow on roof above former daycare centre
Emergency crews rushed to a south Regina strip mall where a portion of the building's roof collapsed, possibly due to the accumulation of snow. No one was hurt in the collapse.
According to police, the area that was most affected was vacant at the time of the collapse,
It happened around 4 p.m. CST Thursday.
A crew from SaskEnergy was also sent to the scene, in the 2100 block of Grant Road, to turn off the supply of natural gas as a safety measure.
The collapse was in a part of the mall that had been home to a daycare, but was currently vacant. A 'For Lease' sign was in the window.
Another business in the mall, a pizza parlour called Tumblers, also lost a portion of its roof.
Jim Baiton, the owner of Tumblers, said he was in the kitchen when he heard a loud noise and ran to the front of his building.
"Nobody was injured," Baiton said of the patrons who were in the front of his restaurant, but there was a large hole in the roof. "You can look straight up and see the sky."
He said the collapse was likely related to snow on the roof.
Baiton said the daycare had closed, but had children in it about five months ago.
Brian Burgess was inside Tumblers with a friend when they heard a loud bang and then, a few moments later, a portion of the roof collapsed before their eyes.
"[I] looked up and saw part of the roof cave in and insulation come down," he said. "So we ran outside."
Gerard Kay, from the Regina Fire Department, said there was heavy snow concentrated in one area of the mall's roof.
"Apparently the strip mall had the snow removed except for this one business," Kay told CBC News. "I think they skipped it because it was vacant, so there was no concern. Well, they messed up on that."
With files from CBC's Sabeen Ahmad