Saskatchewan

Electrical short cause of Regina house fire

An electrical short was the cause of a fire at a Regina house that people had just been moving into.

An electrical short was the cause of a fire Monday at a Regina house that people had recently been moving into, officials say.

The fire at 2915 McCallum Ave. in the city's Lakeview neighbourhood caused $400,000 to $500,000 in damages, the fire department said.

Fire crews were called at around 6:20 a.m. CST after a passerby noticed smoke coming from the attic of the two-storey building.

The man knocked on the door, didn't get an answer, and then called 911.

Fighter fighters discovered nobody was at home.

Crews poured water on the blaze and it was quickly under control, but the fire had spread through the roof and attic and there were several hot spots.

Neighbours said the home had recently been purchased. The people who bought it were moving items into the home the night before the fire.

Later in the morning on Monday, the new owner arrived at the scene, but he declined to be interviewed.

The home was insured, the fire department said.

An investigation found the fire started when some wiring arced in the basement of the house, causing some flammable material to burn.

now