Saskatchewan·Updated

Buildings emptied after downtown gas line broken

A natural gas line leading into a downtown Saskatoon building was broken Monday, leading to an evacuation, the fire department says.

A natural gas line leading into a downtown Saskatoon building was broken Monday, leading to an evacuation, the fire department says.

The line, a 50 millimetre-sized low pressure pipe, was broken by workers doing some street renovation in the 200 block of 3rd Avenue South.

The fire department was called around 3:30 p.m. CST.

Two buildings on the street were evacuated, including a food emporium.

Crews from SaskEnergy were also dispatched to shut down the leaking gas.

The fire department said the buildings were being ventilated and they would stay on the scene until everything was safe.

Later in the day, the fire department reported that the gas line was successfully turned off and SaskEnergy crews were working on repairs.

They said people were allowed back into the buildings around 5:15 p.m.

 

now