2 cats die, 3 condos destroyed in fire in Regina
Fire services warning against using flower pots, plastics as ash trays
Regina fire services is warning smokers not to use plastic flower pots or planters as ash trays, after two cats died and three condos were destroyed in a fire in Regina's Glencairn neighbourhood overnight.
The fire broke out shortly before midnight on the back patio of one unit at 3750 7th Ave. E. on the east side of the city, crews said.
From there, the blaze quickly spread up the outside of the building and into the attic.
Crews said the fire was unintentional and preventable, and the cause was careless disposal of smoker's materials.
No one was hurt in the fire, but the bodies of two cats were found.
Fire authorities said the complex is damaged beyond repair.