House fire extinguished in Iona, P.E.I.
Firefighters quickly knock down fire in Iona but building is 'likely a total loss'
Firefighters battled a major fire this afternoon at a house and former store at the intersection of the Selkirk and Iona roads on P.E.I.
Owners Florence and Leo O'Shea were out at the time, and no one was hurt. Part of the building used to be known as O'Shea's Grocery, according to family members. It had been in operation for 200 years, they say, and ceased to be a store in 1993.
By mid-afternoon, the flames appeared to have been doused, as crews with the Belfast Fire Department continued to spray water and foam on hot spots. A portion of Route 23 was closed as a result of the fire.
Staff Sgt. Kevin Baillie with the Montague RCMP told CBC News the fire department was able to get the blaze knocked down fairly quickly. Firefighters from Vernon River also responded.
"It was quite windy at the time and at that point the fire was quite involved when the members arrived," Baillie said, noting there is significant smoke and water damage.
"It appears that the fire is likely going to affect both the barn and the attached house ... Both will likely be a total loss."
Baillie said the residents were not at home at the time.
"Relatives of the owners of the house arrived and advised that the people who lived in the house had in fact gone into town and were away," he said.
With files from Angela Walker