Man rescued in weekend fire dies in hospital
Investigation focused on a burning mattress, fire inspector says
Charlottetown fire inspector Winston Bryan says a man has died as a result of a weekend fire in Charlottetown.
Bryan said the man was taken to a hospital in Halifax, where he later died.
Bryan said nine people were displaced by the fire at the three-storey building on Edward Street and two were rescued. The Red Cross has been helping those affected.
"We worked on scene yesterday to rebuild the room and area in question and we came up with basically a cause, a determination of an accidental fire," Bryan said.
Bryan said the investigation focused on a burning mattress.
"A possible cause of a discarded cigarette," he said.
More P.E.I. news
With files from Angela Walker