PEI

Eugene's General Store in Tignish destroyed by fire

A community landmark in Tignish, P.E.I., was destroyed by fire on Sunday.

'It's almost like losing a family member,' says former owner

Tignish Fire Chief Allan Gavin confirmed the building is a 'major loss.' (Monica Butler)

Eugene's General Store in Tignish, P.E.I., has been destroyed by fire.

Fire officials responded to a call around noon Sunday.

Store manager Carter Morrissey said 99 per cent of the building is lost.

Tignish Fire Chief Allan Gavin confirmed the building is a "major loss," but the fire is under control.

Gavin said the store was open at the time of the fire and he is unsure how many people were inside. However, there were no injuries.

The provincial fire marshal's office is investigating.

Former owner Joanne Perry says the store was a 'landmark' in the community. (Kyle McCallum)

The store was owned by Tommy and Joanne Perry. They ran it for 32 years before selling it last year.

"It's almost like losing a family member," Joanne said. "I'm a little lost for words."

Many have been posting images and video of the fire on social media.

Joanne said Tommy headed to the scene when he heard the fire had started.

"We've had so so many memories in that store, memories that I know I will never forget," Joanne said.

She said the store was a "landmark" in the community.

She and her husband started the store with three staff members in 1986. There were 20 when they sold it in 2018.

"I"m very proud that we definitely made a good landmark in Tignish."

Joanne said it is hard to imagine the community without the store.

More P.E.I. news