About 7,000 without power in P.E.I. as some Islanders brace for 3rd week in the dark
Numbers are down from 11,000 Friday morning
Over 7,000 Maritime Electric customers are still without power Saturday morning as P.E.I. passes the two-week mark since post-tropical storm Fiona.
Those numbers are down from Friday morning, when the utility said some newly revealed outages took the number back to 11,000 from about 8,300 earlier in the week.
It's been 15 days since Fiona hit P.E.I. and knocked down power for households across the Island.
But those waiting to get their power restored could be in the dark for even longer, with Maritime Electric saying Friday it could be another week for some Islanders.
Spokesperson Kim Griffin said it's taking up to five times longer to fix individual outages than it did with Dorian in 2019.
A list is available on the company's website detailing where power outages remain and when the lights should be back on.
On Friday, the Canadian Red Cross announced it will be providing $500 in financial assistance to households most impacted by Fiona.
That's in addition to the $250 in financial assistance the organization is providing on behalf of the provincial government. Over 23,215 households have received this assistance, the province said in a release on Saturday.
Islanders can register online at www.redcross.ca/hurricanefiona or by calling 1-800-863-6582. Newly opened locations for those who prefer in-person support are operating in Charlottetown's Confederation Court Mall and the Montague Curling Club.
The Charlottetown location is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Montague location has the same schedule except for Thursdays, when it's open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
A Summerside location will open in the coming days, the province said.
Over 386 applications have been submitted to the province's wage rebate for impacted workers and 36 for the Emergency Jobs Initiative.
The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure has received over 4,620 applications from Island residents requesting a debris assessment for their private properties.
The province said those deemed a safety hazard are being referred to contractors as priority for debris removal.
Other supports available can be found here.