Riverview Market's chicken ginger soup
Yields 10 cups
- 2 tbsp organic P.E.I. canola oil or grapeseed oil.
- 1½ cups sliced onion (1 medium onion).
- 3 cups sliced leek (1½ medium stalks).
- 2½ cups sliced button mushroom (¼ lb).
- 1½ tbsp fresh minced garlic (6 cloves).
- 1½ tbsp fresh minced ginger (⅛ lb).
- ½ tbsp fresh minced turmeric (1 tbsp of turmeric powder if you don't have fresh).
- 2 cups (½ bunch) thin sliced lacinato kale, or any kale you prefer.
- 1 cooked whole chicken (2 lbs whole cooked chicken, 4 cups of meat after cleaned off bones — we use KJL Select Meats rotisserie chicken).
- 8 cups water (or chicken stock if you do not have Better Than Bouillon).
- 1½ tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken (omit this if using stock).
- 1 lemon juiced (add a little at a time to your taste).
- ½ tbsp thyme.
- ½ tbsp salt (adjust this if using stock).
- ½ tsp ground black pepper.
Prep all of your ingredients first.
Heat oil over medium heat and add onion, leek, mushroom, garlic, ginger, turmeric and kale. Sweat until soft or onions are translucent.
Add chicken, water, Better Than Bouillon, lemon, salt, pepper and thyme and bring to a boil.
We recommend saving your chicken bones, leek and onion scraps so you can make your own stock!