PEI

House fire caused by material near wood pellet stove

A fire that caused extensive damage to a house on Valley Street Tuesday night started in the area of a wood pellet stove, officials with the Charlottetown Fire Department have determined.

Home had working smoke detectors, homeowner able to get out

Fire investigators were on the scene Wednesday morning. (Charlottetown Fire Department)

A fire that caused extensive damage to a house on Valley Street Tuesday night started in the area of a wood pellet stove, officials with the Charlottetown Fire Department have determined

Fire Chief Randy MacDonald said the fire started on the main floor of the house.

"The origin of the fire has been determined to be the area of the wood pellet stove which may have ignited nearby combustible material," said MacDonald.

"If it is placed too close to combustible material, it could be a floor surfacing, then it could ignite it, radiant heat from the appliance."

MacDonald said the house had working smoke detectors that were sounding when firefighters arrived on scene.

The homeowner was able to get out safely but his pet bird died in the fire.

With files from Angela Walker

now