PEI

Firefighters keep fire from spreading to woods

Firefighters were able prevent a house fire north of Charlottetown from spreading into nearby woods Friday morning.

Firefighters were able prevent a house fire north of Charlottetown from spreading into nearby woods Friday morning.

The call came in at about 10 a.m. Firefighters from North River, New Glasgow and Charlottetown responded. Forest fire was a serious concern. The forest fire index is currently moderate in the area, following a small rainfall overnight.

No one was in the home, on the MacQuarrie Road in Winsloe North. The old farmhouse was a summer home for native Islanders who were living in Alberta.

Provincial Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter has ruled the cause of the fire as accidental, believed to have been caused by a faulty compressor in a refrigerator.

"Currently it's, we believe, being used as a summer home. The registered owners right now are listed as living in Fort MacMurray, Alberta."

The fire marshal says the home is damaged beyond repair and will likely be demolished.

For mobile device users: View photogallery here