PEI

Fire takes everything from family

A house fire western P.E.I. has left a mother and her three children with just the clothes on their backs.

A house fire western P.E.I. has left a mother and her three children with just the clothes on their backs.

The family was not at home when the fire started and no one was injured. When Tracy Perry and her children, aged nine to 13,  returned to their St. Felix home, south of Tignish, Friday evening they found it filled with smoke.

"We opened the door, all was black smoke. We couldn't make it through. It was just boiling heat," Perry told CBC News Sunday.

"All you could see was smoke and nothing else. You couldn't see nothing in the house. You couldn't even go in the house. You couldn't breathe inside of it."

Perry returned to the family home Sunday to see what she could salvage.

"I'm left with what's on my back right now," she said.

"We don't have any food or anything like that. We need more food for the kids. All we have is what we have on our backs."

Tragic loss

The fire struck as the family was dealing with another tragedy.

In 2008 Perry's son Jordan fell off his bike. He wasn't wearing a helmet and went into a coma. He died just over a year ago, at the age of 14.

The fire took most of what she had to remember him by.

"A lot of his pictures, his bike, his karate shoes, his clothes, all that stuff that was going to be passed on to my second oldest son Brandon," said Perry.

"His teddy bears and all that stuff was all destroyed. It was burnt in the fire."

Provincial Fire Marshal Dave Blacquiere said the fire began in a child's bedroom and was caused by a curling iron.

now