Elmwood house fire accidental, P.E.I. fire marshal rules

A New Year’s Day fire in a home in Elmwood has been ruled accidental.

Fire caused by ignition of waste materials in bathroom

A New Year's Day fire in a home in Elmwood has been ruled accidental.

The P.E.I. fire marshal's office says the fire was probably caused by ignition of waste materials in, or around, the bathroom vanity.

The damage caused by the fire was contained to the bathroom of the house.

The North River Fire Department put out the fire. Chief Kirby Wakelin said the homeowner discovered the fire in the bathroom after hearing a crackling noise.

The homeowner attempted to extinguish the fire with the shower head.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?