PEI

Cottage fire in Eastern Kings caused by unattended space heater

A house fire Tuesday night in Eastern Kings was caused by an unattended electric space heater and has been ruled accidental, says the provincial fire marshal.

Fire marshal reminds Islanders to turn off space heaters when no one is in the room

Space heaters should be turned off, and even unplugged, when no one is around. (CBC)

A cottage fire Tuesday night in Eastern Kings was caused by an unattended space heater and has been ruled accidental, says the provincial fire marshal.

The space heater either malfunctioned or ignited nearby combustible material, said David Rossiter.

Rossiter is reminding Islanders to turn off unattended space heaters.

He also said space heaters should always be plugged directly in to an electrical outlet because they draw a significant amount of electricity and can overheat an extension cord or multiple-plug adaptor.

Meanwhile, Rossiter said two recent house fires in Mt. Pleasant and Enmore have both been ruled undetermined because there was too much damage to the structures.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.