PEI

Clothes dryer fire destroys home

A man and a woman escaped injury after a house fire early Friday morning in the western P.E.I. community of St. Hubert.
The fire gutted the house and caved in the roof. ((Brian Higgins/CBC))

A man and a woman escaped injury after a house fire early Friday morning in the western P.E.I. community of St. Hubert.

The Wellington Fire Department responded to the fire at around 2:45 a.m. The two people were asleep in the home at the time. They were alerted when the smoke detector went off, and ran from the scene and called for help.

"There was heavy smoke coming out the main door and a few windows," said deputy fire chief Dennis Cormier.

"We just couldn't even enter the house. There was too much heat. So we had to do some ventilation. We vented through the roof and the house is a complete loss."

The roof caved in and the house was gutted by the fire.

Deputy provincial fire marshal Dave Rossiter investigated the fire and ruled it was accidental. Rossiter said it started in the clothes dryer.

Without a working alarm in the home, he said, the fire could have resulted in two deaths.

Rossiter reminded people to ensure appliances are turned off before going to bed for the night.

now