Where to find food, supplies, shelter in Ottawa post-tornado
Power is expected to be out for days, city says
Power outages are expected to last for a number of days after a tornado touched down Friday in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.
Here's where you can find food and supplies over the next few days.
Find our most updated info here.
Where to find food, gas
- Westboro Market, Byron Linear Park.
- Billings Bridge mall food court and Walmart, Bank and Riverside Drive.
- McDonald's on 670 Bronson Ave.
- Bronson Pizza, 370 Bronson Ave.
- Metro and Loblaws stores on Rideau Street.
- Sobeys on 193 Metcalfe St.
- Petro-Canada on Rideau Street and King Edward Avenue.
- Drummond's gas station on Bronson Avenue at Chamberlain Avenue.
- Tim Horton's at 372 Hunt Club Rd.
- South Keys Shopping Centre.
- Milano's Pizza at St. Laurent Boulevard and Walkley Rd.
- Bayshore Mall.
- Petro Canada at 500 Eagleson Rd.
- Ultramar on Eagleson Road at Stonehaven Drive.
- Petro Canada at Bayshore Drive and Carling Avenue.
- Esso on Campeau Drive at Terry Fox Drive.
- Shell at 720 March Road.
- Loblaws at Kanata Centrum Shopping Centre.
- Shoppers Drug Mart at Mitch Owens Road and River Road.
- Place d'Orleans shopping mall.
- Gloucester Shopping Centre.
City of Ottawa
- Anyone in Dunrobin who's been displaced because of the storm can go to an emergency centre at West Carleton High School at 3088 Dunrobin Rd.
- The Canterbury Community Shelter operation is moving to the Goulbourn Recreation Complex in Stittsville,
Other food, shelter support
- Goodlife Fitness clubs in Ottawa, not impacted by the outages, are open to the public for anyone who needs a hot shower or an outlet to charge their phones.
- Turkish Community Centre in Kanata is offering food, support.
Time to help!<br>As the Turkish Community in Ottawa, we are ready to share our home and foods with the people who lost their house in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Tornado?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Tornado</a>. Also, our community centre in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Kanata?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Kanata</a> is ready to be used for them.<br>We are all with you.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ottawaweather?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ottawaweather</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ottawatornado?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ottawatornado</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ottnews?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ottnews</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CBCOttawa</a> <a href="https://t.co/zxPtsevzjl">pic.twitter.com/zxPtsevzjl</a>—@kirkbasak
- Meals on Wheels will not be able to serve all their recipients in Ottawa due to the tornado. They are asking family members to check up on the program's regular recipients.
Please note that we have limited hot food deliveries today. Four of our five kitchens are able to prepare food. However, St. Patrick’s Home is not able to supply any meals due to a power outage so the routes in our south and south east areas are cancelled.—@MOWOttawa
- Causeway Work Centre on O'Meara Street.
For those without power in Ottawa. We have lots of food. Pastries, cheeses, fruit & lasagnas, etc. <br>Our doors are open at Causeway, 22 O’Meara St. In Hintonburg. <br>Cc: <a href="https://twitter.com/JLeiper?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JLeiper</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/ParkdaleFood?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ParkdaleFood</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CBCOttawa</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/JoelHardenONDP?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JoelHardenONDP</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/cmckenney?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cmckenney</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CMcKennaOttawa?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CMcKennaOttawa</a> <a href="https://t.co/DplOZVIGAB">pic.twitter.com/DplOZVIGAB</a>—@douglaspawson
- Larkin House Community Centre on 76 Larkin Drive.
Nepean if you are out of power come for a hot meal and coffee at Larkin Housein Barrhaven. Busy crowd, lots of food and all of your neighbours.—@MacLeodLisa
- Ottawa Public Health said that even without power, food can stay frozen for 24 to 48 hours in most freezers, according to Ottawa Public Health. People should avoid opening their fridge or freezer to ensure the contents stay cold. Any perishable food in the freezer that thaws can still be used, as long as it's still cold.
- The Ottawa 67's are inviting city residents without power to their TD Place arena to watch a free game and get some food and drinks at 2 p.m. Sunday.