Ottawa

Townhouse fire caused by candle

Investigators say an unattended candle caused a fire at a townhouse in west end Ottawa that forced seven people from their home.

Investigators say an unattended candle caused a fire at a townhouse in west end Ottawa that forced seven people from their home.

Emergency officials say an unattended candle caused a fire at a west end townhouse.

Emergency officials said the fire started in the basement of the two-storey, four-unit building on Moodie Drive at Robertson Road Sunday night.

The fire began in the laundry room, which was also being used as a bedroom. The tenants were asleep but were awakened by the smoke alarm.  

Fire crews managed to contain the fire although the building had smoke damage. Damage is estimated a $130,000.