Thanksgiving in Ottawa 2016: what's open and closed
Banks, many city services and stores in Ottawa are closed for Thanksgiving Monday, while many museums and stores in both the ByWard Market and Glebe should be open.
Many malls, grocery stores and city services will be closed Monday
Food, drink and shopping
- The ByWard Market is open on Monday, including most restaurants, boutiques, services and outdoor vendors.
- Stores in the Glebe are also allowed to open after the Ontario Municipal Board on Thursday upheld an Ottawa city council decision from earlier this year. Check the store first to see if they are choosing to open.
- The Metro on Rideau Street remains open 24 hours on Monday, Oct. 10. All other Metro and Food Basics locations in Ottawa will be closed and resume business on Tuesday, Oct. 11.
- The Loblaws on Rideau Street will be open 24 hours on Monday. All other Loblaws locations (and Your Independent Grocer locations) Ottawa will be closed and resume business on Tuesday, Oct. 11.
- Four Provigo stores in Gatineau will be open on Monday: the stores on St. Joseph Bvld. and Maloney E. Blvd. are open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., the store on Des Flandres Ave.is open from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. and the store in Hull on Du Plateau Blvd. is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- All LCBO and Beer Store locations in Ottawa will be closed on Monday, Oct. 10 and resume business on Tuesday, Oct. 11. The Wine Rack in the Byward Market, Elgin Street and Rideau Street will be open but ask that you call in advance to confirm hours. The Wine Rack in the Glebe may also be open. Call to confirm.
- The Bayshore Shopping Centre, Hazeldean Mall, St. Laurent Centre and Place d'Orleans are all closed on Monday. The Rideau Centre will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Herb & Spice Shop on Wellingston Street will be open.
National museums and galleries
- The National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian Museum of Nature, which are usually closed on Mondays, are open on Thanksgiving Monday.
- The Canadian War Museum, the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum and the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa, as well as the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau, are open on Thanksgiving Monday.
- The Canada Science and Technology Museum remains closed as it undergoes repairs.
City of Ottawa (including transit, garbage and recreation)
- City Hall and all seven client service centres will be closed. Business will resume as usual on Tuesday, Oct. 11.
- Provincial Offences Court, at 100 Constellation Cr., will also be closed on Thanksgiving Monday.
- The 311 contact centre will be open for urgent matters requiring the city's immediate attention. Call 311 or 613-580-2400 to speak to a customer service representative. For persons with a hearing-related disability, call TTY: 613-580-2401.
- Garbage, green bin and recycling collection
- There will be no curbside green bin, recycling or garbage collection on Thanksgiving Day. Collections schedules will be delayed by one day for the week.
- All City of Ottawa parking regulations and restrictions will apply on Thanksgiving Day.
- OC Transpo and the O-Train will operate on a Sunday schedule. Call 613-560-1000 or text 560560 plus your four-digit bus stop number for automated schedule information. For more information, holiday schedules and travel planning, phone 613-741-4390 or visit octranspo.com.
- OC Transpo Sales and Information Centres will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Rideau Centre.
- The OC Transpo Information Centre (613-741-4390) will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The OC Transpo Customer Relations Department (613-842-3600) will be closed.
- Para Transpo will operate on a holiday service on Thanksgiving Monday. Regular scheduled trips are automatically cancelled. Customers may book trips on or after Oct. 3 by calling 613-244-7272.
- Some pools and fitness centres will be open for public swimming and fitness classes, with modified schedules. Please check with ottawa.ca or the facility of your choice for details.
- Public skating will be offered at Bob MacQuarrie Recreation Complex, Jim Durrell Recreation Complex and Goulbourn Recreation Complex. Check with ottawa.ca for details.
- Most registered programs at swimming pools, community centres and arenas are cancelled. Check with individual facilities to confirm, as some exceptions will apply.
Ottawa Public Health
- The SITE Mobile Van will be operating from 5 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving Monday.
- The Sexual Health Centre and satellite clinics, SITE office, dental clinics and Well Baby Drop-In will be closed.
- The Ottawa Public Health Information Line will be closed. Messages will be returned the following day.
- The Karsh-Masson Gallery, Barbara Ann Scott Gallery and Ottawa Art Gallery Annex will be open.
- City of Ottawa Archives, arts centres, galleries, theatres and museums will be closed. Some exceptions may apply so check ottawa.ca to confirm.
- The Cumberland Heritage Village Museum will be closed on Sunday, Oct. 9 because it is rented out to the organizers of the Fall Colours Marathon. It will also be closed on Thanksgiving Monday.
Municipal child care services
- City-operated child care centres will be closed.
Ottawa Public Library
- All branches, departments and services of the Ottawa Public Library will be closed on Monday.