Early morning fire at seniors residence in Gatineau
Fire department called to Domaine des Trembles on St. Raymond Boulevard at 4:30 a.m. Thursday
- Chartwell, which owns the building, said on Nov. 15 a candle likely caused the fire.
The Red Cross is helping to relocate some seniors after a fire at a retirement home in Gatineau early Thursday morning.
The Gatineau fire department was called to Domaine des Trembles — a seven-storey retirement home for 235 seniors located at 250 St. Raymond Blvd. — at 4:30 a.m. The fire was quickly put out by the sprinkler system but forced the evacuation of some residents, according to the fire department. No injuries were reported.
The fire appears to have started accidentally on a mattress, possibly caused by a cigarette, according to the fire department.
Damage to the building, caused by fire and water, will force the relocation of some seniors, though the exact number has not been determined, the fire service said.