Roxanne Carr cell-block video to be released
Images from the arrest and alleged assault and strip search of Roxanne Carr in an Ottawa cell block in 2008 will be released to the public, police announced Tuesday.
Ottawa Police Acting Chief Gilles Larochelle said in a written statement that he believed video footage of the alleged incident, which led to the 42-year-old Carr suing the Ottawa police for $975,000 in May, would vindicate the four officers named in her statement of claim.
"In the Carr video, members of the public will see interaction between Ottawa Police Cellblock officers and Roxanne Carr as she is brought into the Central Cellblock at 474 Elgin Street on August 23, 2008," Larochelle said in the statement.
"I am satisfied that Cellblock officers handled the custody of Roxanne Carr with the utmost professionalism, especially when faced with a crisis in the cell."
Charges against Carr withdrawn
Charges laid two years ago against Carr for obstructing police and damaging property were withdrawn in April, upon review of the video footage of Carr's treatment in the cell block.
In his statement on Tuesday, Larochelle noted that the video of Carr's arrest was originally provided to the Crown and the defence in December 2008.
Carr and her lawyer, Mark Ertel, had campaigned to get the footage released publicly. She has alleged that her arm and wrist were broken during the arrest, which was over a landlord-tenant dispute at her apartment. She claimed she had been arrested falsely.
Carr's case has drawn comparisons to that of Stacy Bonds, who was arrested, kneed several times and pinned to the floor while police strip-searched her in 2008. Videotape from that incident was released to the public last November.
Bonds is also suing the police for her treatment.
Last week, a judge ordered the release of the court's copy of the video, but court officials discovered the video was missing. The video that will be released to the media is a duplicate of the version provided in court by the police.