Several Ottawa hospitals report no active cases of COVID-19
The Ottawa Hospital, Queensway Carleton each report promising numbers
The Ottawa Hospital's three campuses, the Montfort Hospital and the Queensway Carleton Hospital are all reporting no patients with active cases of COVID-19, a clear sign of how steeply case totals have plunged in recent weeks in the nation's capital.
Just over two months ago, on May 3, there were 82 patients with COVID-19 spread across The Ottawa Hospital's General, Civic and Riverside campuses — the highest total at any time during the pandemic, said spokesperson Michaela Schreiter.
While community transmission is not at zero, the numbers are a "testament to the progress that our community has made in reducing the spread of the virus," Schreiter wrote in a news release.
The hospital is still caring for some patients dealing with the effects of the virus, Schreiter said.
In a series of tweets, the Queensway Carleton Hospital Foundation said Thursday the hospital had no patients with active cases — and what's more, had not had such a patient admitted "for the past few days."
Most importantly: thank you! Everyone’s efforts have brought us to this moment, almost one year since QCH was last COVID-free.<br><br>We can do this. That light at the end of the tunnel? Well, it’s getting bigger, Ottawa. We’re getting there.<br><br>Stay safe and be well 💙<br><br>-QCH<br>(4/4)—@QCHOttawa
The Montfort Hospital also tweeted that they had zero active COVID-19 patients, something that had been the case "many times in the last few weeks."
According to Ottawa Public Health data, there were still two Ottawa residents in hospital with COVID-19 as of Thursday.
Figures from CHEO, eastern Ontario's children's hospital, were not immediately available.