Ottawa Public Health issues precautionary boil-water advisory
Rideau Street businesses close to the sinkhole affected by advisory
Ottawa Public Health issued a precautionary boil water advisory for several addresses on Rideau Street, including the Rideau Centre, following Wednesday's road collapse.
The affected addresses are:
- 41 Rideau Street (CIBC building).
- 45 Rideau Street (Holtz Spa).
- 47 Rideau Street (Chapters/Starbucks).
- Rideau Centre Shopping Centre (including GoodLife Fitness).
The advisory will remain in effect until further notice, according to a release issued Thursday.
The Rideau Centre food court is also closed until further notice from public health.
Precautions to take:
- If you are unable to boil water, you should consume only bottled water.
- Water users in the affected area are asked to bring their water to a rolling boil for at least one minute before using it for all consumption purposes, including drinking, making juice, ice and infant formula, as well as for use in food preparation.
- After boiling, the water should be left to cool before being used, or it should be placed in clean containers to cool in the refrigerator.
- Boiled water should be used when brushing teeth. Boiled water should also be used to rinse dishes after washing. Other non-consumption uses, such as showering, are safe.
Ottawa Public Health says the boil-water advisory will be rescinded once it's satisfied water quality meets drinking water guidelines and tap water is deemed to be safe.