Case of measles confirmed in Ottawa
Ottawa Public Health warns people who were at locations listed below could have been exposed
Ottawa Public Health (OPH) has confirmed a case of measles in the city.
The agency issued a news release late Wednesday evening and is warning people that they may have been exposed to the virus at the following locations:
- The ground floor or the lobby or elevator of 40 Hines Rd., an office complex in Kanata, on March 26 between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., or on March 27 between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- The Real Canadian Superstore at 760 Eagleson Rd. on March 27 and in the Ottawa West Travel Clinic at the same address, between 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- The Queensway Carleton Hospital's emergency room between 1 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. on March 30, or the hospital's ambulatory care department between 9 a.m. and noon on April 2.
Check vaccination records
Measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease. OPH is advising anyone who was at any of the above locations to check their immunization records.
Anyone who was at one of the locations and falls into one of the categories below is being asked to call OPH at 613-580-6744:
- Born in or after 1970 and never received a measles-containing vaccine.
- With a weakened immune system.
- Are pregnant.
- Work in the health care or child care sector.
- Had a child under the age of one with you when you visited one of the above locations.
The early symptoms of the disease include fever, cough, or tiny white spots in the mouth.
Within three to seven days, a red blotchy rash will appear first on the face before spreading.
Health officials want anyone who believes they may be infected to isolate themselves and stay at home. You should call before visiting a health-care provider.
Ottawa Public Health is also strongly encouraging people to ensure they are vaccinated.
- A previous version of this story said people could have been exposed to the measles virus at 760 Eagleson Rd. on March 28. Since then, Ottawa Public Health changed the date to March 27. The story has been updated to reflect that change.Apr 04, 2019 4:50 PM ET