North American Leaders' Summit will close downtown Ottawa streets to vehicles
Most of the roads in Ottawa's downtown core will be closed to vehicles for most of Wednesday as U.S. President Barack Obama and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto take part in the North American Leaders' summit with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- Three amigos summit seen as rare chance for big moves on climate change
- Mexican visas unlikely to be lifted in time for Three Amigos summit
- Barack Obama to address Canadian Parliament June 29
But roads downtown won't be the only routes affected.
Boaters won't be allowed around a large section of the Ottawa River near Parliament Hill and the ByWard Market, the Rideau Canal and all locks will be closed from the Bronson Bridge to Parliament, the Alexandra Bridge crossing the river will be closed, and roads near the Ottawa airport will be closed as well.
Temporary road closures will also be in effect elsewhere in the city in the morning (from about 8-11 a.m.) and evening (4:30-8 p.m.) as the motorcade travels to and from the airport, causing delays that could be greater than 30 minutes.
Downtown, Market road closures
ByWard Market area, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
- Sussex Drive, from Rideau Street to Boteler Street.
- Lady Grey Drive.
- Rideau Street, from Mackenzie Avenue to Dalhousie Street.
- Mackenzie Avenue.
- Alexandra Bridge.
- St. Patrick Street, from Sussex Drive to Dalhousie Street.
- St. Andrew Street, Guigues Avenue, Murray Street and Clarence Street, from Sussex Drive to Parent Avenue.
- George Street, from Sussex Drive to ByWard Market Square.
- Elgin Street northbound, from Queen Street to Wellington Street.
- Colonel By Drive and the Mackenzie Avenue extension, from Rideau Street to Daly Avenue.
- Mackenzie King Bridge will be closed to pedestrians for short periods only.
Parliament Hill area, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.:
- Wellington Street will be closed eastbound at Lyon Street and westbound at Kent Street.
- Bank Street from Wellington Street to Queen Street.
- O'Connor Street from Wellington Street to Queen Street.
- Metcalfe Street from Wellington Street to Albert Street.
- Elgin Street southbound, from Wellington Street to Queen Street, northbound from Albert Street to Wellington Street.
- Queen Street will have restrictions between Elgin Street and Metcalfe Street.
- Queen Street will be open, eastbound only, between Bay Street and O'Connor Street.
- The bike path below Parliament Hill will be closed from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- All government buildings on Parliament Hill will be closed to the public and tours. The Changing of the Guard and Parliament Hill yoga will be cancelled.
- Road closures are planned from the Ottawa airport to the National Gallery of Canada from about 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. as the motorcade travels through the city.
- Paul Benoit Driveway from Croil Private to Silver Star Private.
- Tracker Private at Ottawa Parkway Private.
- High Road between Alert Road and Leitrim Road, two hours before arrival (morning) and departure (evening) of the motorcade.
- Leitrim Road from Limebank Road to Gilligan Road, two hours before arrival and departure.
- Bowesville Road between Earl Armstrong Road and Leitrim Road, two hours before arrival and departure.
- Alert Road will be restricted for access to the golf course two hours before the arrival (morning) and closed 30 minutes before the arrival (morning) and departure (evening).
- Road closures are planned from downtown to the airport from approximately 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. as the motorcade travels through the city.
- The Rideau Canal between Dow's Lake (Bronson Bridge) and Plaza Bridge (Sapper's Bridge, Wellington Street) will be an exclusion zone.
- No stopping, no anchoring and no mooring of watercraft will be allowed Wednesday. Exceptions will only be made for vessels mooring at the Blue Line Dock, if accepted by the lockmaster and while waiting to use the locks.
- Vessels will be allowed to navigate in and through the exclusion zone all day on June 28.
- On June 29, no watercraft will be allowed to navigate in or through the exclusion zone, including the Rideau Canal Locks, which are closed for the day.
- The Ottawa River between the National Gallery of Canada, Parliament Hill and the Museum of History will be an exclusion zone.
- There will be no stopping, no anchoring or mooring day or night Tuesday and Wednesday within the exclusion zone.
- The exclusion zone will be closed to navigation intermittently through the day on June 29.
- During this closure, watercrafts will not be allowed near or under the Alexandra Bridge.
- The water taxi liaison service between Ottawa Locks' dock, the Museum of History and other water taxi stops should not be affected as long as the water taxis remain outside of the exclusion zone.