Military reservist charged with sexual assault twice this year
2 sexual assault charges relate to 2 different victims
A Canadian Forces reservist based in west Ottawa is facing sexual assault charges relating to two different victims, the Department of National Defence announced on Thursday.
The incident is alleged to have occurred more than a year ago, in July 2013, at the Connaught Range and Primary Training Centre in west Ottawa, near Carling Avenue and Moodie Drive.
"The military police was advised of this historical incident through a third-party source who reported the incident to the military police in October of 2014," DND said in a media release issued Thursday.
The captain was already facing a sexual assault charge when the most recent allegations came to light. He had been charged in February this year in a case that "involved a different victim," DND said. In that case, the matter is set for trial in June 2015.
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service laid the charges. The service is the investigative arm of the Canadian Forces Military Police.
"Sexual misconduct and sexual assault are not tolerated in the Canadian Armed Forces. Military personnel are expected to conduct themselves in an appropriate and professional manner at all times," Lt.-Col. Brian Frei, the service's commanding officer, is quoted saying in the media release.
"The military police takes these matters seriously and will thoroughly investigate any allegations of sexual assault related to Canadian Armed Forces members, Department of National Defence employees or incidents which occur on defence establishments."