Man suffers serious burns in home fire
A 56-year-old man is in serious condition in the burn centre at the Ottawa Hospital's Civic campus after a fire last night near Hintonburg.
A fire broke out in the kitchen of a two-storey duplex on Carruthers Avenue near the Transitway Sunday evening, firefighters said.
Firefighters were called to the scene shortly before 6 p.m. after people outside reported seeing black smoke.
Paramedics said the 56-year-old man living in the home attempted to extinguish the fire himself. A neighbour, Justin Holden, pulled the man to safety.
"Unbelievable all the smoke that was coming out, I figured he must be in there so I ran in there," said Holden.
"I just ran into the kitchen and I looked, I saw him standing there I don't know what he was doing, so I grabbed him and pulled him out...his face was all red and his head was all burnt and his hair was missing," he said.
The man suffered second degree burns to his arms and shoulders, and first degree burns to his face.
Firefighters put out the fire by 6:02 p.m. They said damage is estimated at $110,000.