Make your own tidy tacos
Gabrielle Grimes, 11, shares her award-winning, less-mess taco recipe
Gabrielle Grimes loves a good cooking show, and she loves to cook.
So when YTV started publicizing its Kid Food Nation recipe contest, the Ottawa preteen took note, did her research, entered — and won.
Grimes is now among 26 young cooks whose recipes will be featured at the upcoming Kid Food Nation gala in Toronto, where a celebrity chef will prepare her winning creation.
Her chili-lime taco pouch, featured below, will also be included in a special cookbook. The beauty of this taco? It's virtually spill-free.
Chili-lime taco pouches
- 1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef.
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 2 green onions, chopped.
- 2 tsp. ground cumin.
- ½ tsp. paprika.
- ½ tsp. onion powder.
- ½ tsp. chili-lime seasoning (optional).*
- ½ tsp. salt.
- ¼ tsp. pepper.
- 1 tbsp. lime juice.
- 6 large flour tortillas.
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (optional).
* Look for chili-lime seasoning (sriracha lime) in the spice aisle of the grocery store. If it's not available, substitute ¼ tsp. chili powder and ¼ tsp. grated lime zest.
- Using your hands, combine beef, pepper, green onions, cumin, paprika, onion powder, chili-lime seasoning, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add the beef mixture and cook — constantly stirring and breaking up the mixture — for about eight minutes or until the meat is browned and no longer pink.
- Stir in lime juice and remove from heat.
- Lay tortillas flat out on your work surface and place portions of the meat mixture in the centre of each tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with cheese and lettuce, if using.
- Fold in two of the sides and then fold the remaining two sides to form a pouch or envelope. Place the taco pouches seam-side down until you're ready to fry them.
- Lightly spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Working with two pouches at a time, place the tacos folded side down in the skillet and cook about three minutes per side or until golden brown.