Vegan roasted eggplant with quinoa on D is For Dinner
Chef Azura Fennell works out of Ottawa's newest shared commercial kitchen
The owner of the Kneaded Kitchen meal delivery service shared her vegan recipe for roasted eggplant with quinoa, olives and lemon on D is For Dinner, the weekly food segment on CBC Ottawa's All In A Day.
Chef Azura Fennell works out of the Cauldron Kitchen, Ottawa's newest shared commercial kitchen, to prepare vegetarian and vegan meals.
The following recipe serves four.
- 2 large eggplants.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- Salt and pepper.
- Roasted eggplant skin.
- 1 tbsp. roasted garlic.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- 2 cups organic quinoa (cooked).
- 1 tbsp. preserved lemon, minced.
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced.
- 1/3 cup spicy Kalamata olives, chopped.
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Slice eggplants in half and lightly score centres, making sure not to cut through the skin.
- Brush entire eggplant with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Place in lightly oiled casserole dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until softened.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 F (175 C).
- Scoop flesh of roasted eggplant into medium bowl; mash with roasted garlic, lemon juice and zest.
- Add cooked quinoa, preserved lemon, onion, olives, roasted peppers, dried cranberries and parsley.
- Fill eggplants with quinoa mixture and sprinkle with slivered almonds.
- Bake at 350 F (175 C) for 20-25 minutes until heated through and slightly golden.