10 years later, police rekindle search for Kelly Morrisseau's killer

The stabbing death of an Indigenous woman in Gatineau remains unsolved 10 years later, and police have set up a command post in a bid for tips.

Gatineau police set up command post Wednesday in bid for tips

A woman lights a candle for Kelly Morrisseau on Dec. 10, 2013, seven years after her death. The case remains unsolved. (Stu Mills/CBC)

Police have pieced together what they know about the stabbing death 10 years ago of an Indigenous woman in Gatineau, and are hoping the information will lead a member of the public to come forward to help solve the case.

Kelly Morrisseau lived in the Ottawa neighbourhood of Vanier at the time of her death but was originally from Sagkeeng First Nation north of Winnipeg. (Gignul Non-profit Housing Corp.)

Kelly Morrisseau, 27, was found in the early morning hours of Dec. 10, 2006, by a man who was walking his dog. She was naked in a pool of blood in a Gatineau Park parking lot near Rue Gamelin. Morrisseau was taken to hospital in critical condition, where she was later pronounced dead.

Gatineau police set up the command post Wednesday in the park's P3 parking lot, just north of the intersection of Promenade de la Gatineau and Rue Gamelin.

They said two organizations, Sun Youth and Crime Stoppers, are jointly offering a $12,000 reward to anyone who provides information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the murder.

In 2007, Gatineau police released this composite sketch of a possible suspect who was seen leaving an apartment in Vanier with Kelly Morrisseau at 4 a.m. the morning she was found in December 2006. (Gatineau police)

Police say Morrisseau got into car with man

In their effort to solve the case, police also released a more detailed account of what they know.

  • Morrisseau was last seen alive on December 10, 2006, around 4 a.m. on Montfort Street in the Vanier sector of Ottawa. At that time, she was 27 years old, the mother of three, and pregnant.
  • Police say she was with a man, and was seen getting into his car, possibly a 1985 to 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera or Calais.
  • That man remains the main suspect in Morrisseau's murder. A composite sketch was released based on information received from the public and through investigations. The suspect's appearance may have changed over the years.
  • The suspect vehicle and the individual in the composite sketch may have been spotted in the Vanier sector in the days leading up to the murder.
  • Gatineau police have said Morrisseau was known to be involved in prostitution and drugs. They say according to evidence gathered during the investigation, they believe she and suspect met to exchange money for sex. The suspect may have solicited other women before or after the murder.
A police map of locations of interest in Gatineau in the investigation into the murder of Kelly Morrisseau. (Gatineau Police)

Vehicle spotted in reserved lane

Police also provided more detail about the suspect and his vehicle.

  • They said between 4 and 5:40 a.m. on Dec. 10, 2006, the vehicle used the lane reserved for emergency vehicles between Promenade de la Gatineau and Boulevard Saint-Raymond.
  • That reserved lane no longer exists, and is now a bike lane or path.
  • Police are asking anyone who may recall having seen the suspect vehicle or any other vehicle not identified as an emergency services vehicle that morning to contact them.
  • Items belonging to Kelly Morrisseau and evidence were found in Rue des Frênes (near boulevard du Plateau) and behind the business at 115 boulevard du Plateau in Gatineau. So police believe the suspect drove around in that sector, and likely stepped out of his vehicle more than once in the early hours of Dec. 10.

Victim fought back, autopsy found

Morrisseau died shortly after she was found from a massive hemorrhage due to multiple wounds inflicted by a cutting weapon.

The autopsy revealed Morrisseau fought back forcefully. Police believe the attacker may have been wounded by the cutting weapon at the time of the crime.

Morrisseau, who grew up on Manitoba's Sagkeeng First Nation, was living in Ottawa at the time of her death.

Her aunt, Doreen Morrisseau, said Kelly Morrisseau had been trying to turn her life around in Winnipeg, but that when she moved back to Ottawa she returned to the street around the time an acquaintance introduced her to crack cocaine.

No arrests have been made.

Police released a list of Vanier locations relevant to the murder of Kelly Morrisseau. (Gatineau Police)