Firearm, drug charges laid after Jasmine Crescent shooting
Search warrant executed after single shot was fired through apartment floor on Tuesday, police say
Two men face firearm and drug charges — and more people could face charges — after a single shot was fired through the floor of an apartment unit into another on Jasmine Crescent on Tuesday, Ottawa police say.
Reports of a shot being fired at 1993 Jasmine Cres. came in at about 8 a.m. Tuesday, and police asked residents to leave the building as a precaution while they investigated.
Negotiators and officers from patrol and tactical units were dispatched to the scene, where investigators determined that a single shot had been fired through the floor of a fourth-floor unit into a third-floor unit below.
No one was injured.
Later Tuesday morning, police led two men away from the building in handcuffs.
Search warrant executed, drugs seized
A search warrant at the fourth-floor apartment was executed and police seized "a substantial quantity of different types of drugs and $1,100 in Canadian currency," Ottawa police said in a media release issued Wednesday.
A 20-year-old Ottawa man is charged with discharging a restricted or prohibited firearm.
A 27-year-old Ottawa man is charged with:
- One count of being connected to the reckless discharge of a firearm.
- One count of possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000.
- Three counts of possession of a schedule I substance.
- One count of possession of a schedule II substance.
- One count of a schedule III substance for the purpose of trafficking.
- Two counts of possession of a schedule IV substance for the purpose of trafficking.
They were expected to appear in court in Ottawa on Wednesday.
Police say more people could be involved and the guns and gangs unit continues to investigate.
Anyone with information is asked to call the unit at 613-236-1222, ext. 5050. Anonymous tips can be submitted by calling Crime Stoppers toll free at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).