Gatineau twins, 12, pulled from fire in serious condition

A brother and sister, both 12, were unconscious when rescued from a burning second-floor apartment in Gatineau late Saturday night.

Brother and sister alone in apartment on Marengere Road during Saturday night fire

Emergency crews respond to an apartment fire on February 22, 2015. (CBC)

A brother and sister, both 12, were unconscious when rescued from a burning second-floor apartment in Gatineau, late Saturday night.

Their 17-year-old brother, Daniel Rondeau, told Radio-Canada that the fire started around 11 p.m., after he left his sleeping twin siblings alone in the apartment on Marengere Road to get pizza with his girlfriend. His parents had left him as the babysitter on Saturday night, he said.
Daniel Rondeau returned from a late-night pizza run to find there was a fire in his apartment with his twin siblings inside. (Radio-Canada)

"I hope they're okay. I'm sad. It's my brother and my sister," he said.

Andrea Miller, Rondeau's girlfriend, said they left for 20 minutes.

"They were sleeping so we thought that they would be okay," Miller said.

Neighbours alerted emergency crews that the boy and girl were inside the building as firefighters battled flames and smoke. More than 20 people were forced out of the burning four-unit building. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

The boy and girl remain in hospital in serious condition.

The Gatineau fire department said the fire started in the kitchen. 

Police are investigating.