Ottawa

Fire in eastern Ontario kills mother, 2 children

An early-morning house fire in Alexandria killed a mother and her two young children and forced a father to jump out a window with a third child.
A mother and her two children are dead after a fatal fire in Alexandria. 3:09

A mother and her two young children died in an early-morning house fire in the eastern Ontario town of Alexandria.

Ontario Provincial Police said two other family members, the father and another child, were transported to hospital with serious injuries.

OPP confirmed the deceased are Sarah Cholette, 22, and her two children, three-year-old daughter Chloe and nine-month-old son Jacob.

Sarah Cholette, 22, seen here in an undated photo, died after an early morning fire at her Alexandria home. Her daughter and youngest son also died. (CBC)

Ronald Desjardins told CBC News his son Martin, 26, was airlifted to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto with burns to about 20 per cent of his body. Martin's step-brother also said Friday afternoon the man is in a coma.

A third child, 19-month-old Maxime, was airlifted to the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) in Ottawa with burns to 50 per cent of his body.

The grandfather also said his wife, the child's grandmother, was at CHEO with Maxime after an officer delivered the tragic news early Friday.

"It's like a dream, a bad dream," Desjardins told CBC News Friday, "I have to be strong for the rest of the family. It's not an easy thing to have, to see. It's something I wish wouldn't happen to anybody."

Fire crews were called at 2:30 a.m. to the home on Boundary Road in Alexandria, about 50 kilometres north of Cornwall.

Neighbours said they awoke to screaming and saw the father jump out of the window of the house with one of the children as flames could be seen in the house.

Firefighters and emergency crews arrived at the scene and brought the remaining family members from the house and attempted to resuscitate them, but were unsuccessful. The house was destroyed in the blaze.

Firefighters, many of them volunteers, sat dejected on the residential street Friday morning and neighbours were in shock after hearing of the blaze, the second time in two years someone in the community of over 3,000 has died in a fire.

Family told CBC News Martin purchased smoke detectors a year ago because he was concerned about a house fire. It hasn't been confirmed if they were working.

In April 2010, the owner of local tavern Sue Magoo's, Sue Delorme, died after a fire broke out above the bar.