Ottawa

Fire forces Gatineau apartment evacuation

A candle left unattended caused a fire that forced the early morning evacuation of a Gatineau apartment building, fire officials say.
A firefighter climbs up a ladder as smoke billows from a unit of Les Jardins Radisson Sunday night. (CBC)

A candle left unattended caused a fire that forced the early morning evacuation of a Gatineau apartment building, fire officials say.

The fire at Les Jardins Radisson in the Mont-Bleu area of Gatineau began just after 2 a.m. Monday.

Residents from all 80 apartments were forced out of the building in the middle of the night while fire crews arrived at the scene and got the blaze under control.

The Red Cross is looking after residents of three apartment units, one of which was destroyed in the blaze. The other two were damaged..

now