Fauna restaurant could open in June... finally

Opening a restaurant is tough at the best of times, so I spoke to two people in the industry about what it's like. The following is a cautionary tale.

2 years of disputes, court battles delay Fauna opening; comparatively easy sailing to opening day at MēNa

The paper covering the windows says "Opening Slowly." Indeed. After first predicting to open in October 2012, owner Jon Svazas says he's cautiously optimistic about opening Fauna's doors in June. (Kristy Nease/CBC)

Over the years you've probably seen a few restaurant storefronts with brown paper lining the windows, their owners eager and waiting to open for (and hopefully be loved by) a hungry public.

Sometimes weeks of construction and menu planning go by. Sometimes, a few months. And sometimes, it takes a heck of lot longer than that.

How about more than two years?

That's exactly the situation Fauna owner Jon Svazas finds himself in. He signed a lease in May 2012 for a space at the corner of Bank and Frank streets, and planned on opening in October of that same year. But disagreements and legal battles with the landlord — Ahmed Abou-Gabal of Velika Realty Inc. — have pushed the date back over and over again.

"It's been two years of my life," Svazas told me last week. "I've got a wife and two very young kids, and all I want to do is cook food for people in the space that I designed and that I built. It shouldn't be too much to ask, but it is what it is at this point." 

Svazas says he's now hoping to open this June, more than two years after signing the lease. But after everything that's happened, he's not getting his hopes up too high.

The court battles

The first hurdle came in the summer of 2012, according to documents I reviewed at the courthouse on Elgin Street, when Abou-Gabal placed tenants of apartments above the restaurant in hotels so they wouldn't be disturbed by the construction. Abou-Gabal sent Svazas an invoice to cover $3,000 in hotel costs.

The restaurant was close to opening in January, but after a pipe burst that month, more renovations have had to be done inside. (Kristy Nease/CBC)
But Svazas initially disagreed that he was liable for the hotel costs. He eventually ended up paying them, but it was the first in a lengthy series of disputes between the two parties.

Svazas filed a lawsuit in April 2013, claiming that much of the work the landlord agreed to do on the property hadn't been done, which was preventing the restaurant from opening. In June that year, both sides agreed to a court order compelling the landlord to complete outstanding work and repairs, and waiving Svazas's claim to get the money he paid in hotel costs back.

But in December Svazas and his team were again locked out, despite the June court order that barred either side from preventing work to be done. Another court order let Svazas and contractors back in, and work resumed in January.

Then, in mid January, a water pipe burst, causing damage to the property. Both sides disagreed about how to fix the root cause of the burst pipe, and the dispute once again ended up in court.

In March this year, the police were called to the restaurant to keep the peace. Svazas and two others who were in the restaurant on March 19 claimed that Abou-Gabal showed up with several other people and made threatening remarks. After taking witness statements, police determined that the matter should be settled civilly, according to the court documents. The accusations were never actually tested in court.

A few days later, the court granted Svazas permission to pay rent to the Superior Court of Justice instead of paying it directly to Abou-Gabal.

'I'm cautiously optimistic,' Fauna owner says

Top 2 ridiculous methods to unload some stress while opening a new restaurant.

1. Food yoga. It's the latest thing. From high plank, lower to the floor and then into baby cobra. Take a bite of some menu items the cooks are trying to figure out. Sun salutation. Repeat. Pro tip: Don't overdo it. You could barf.

2. Stare at calming paint swatches and try to imagine yourself floating in an ocean of the colour. It's a perfect ocean, where all orders for appliances and booze are filled promptly and delivered punctually by a team of dolphins that really understand your business plan.

I've tried to reach Abou-Gabal, but my multiple calls to Velika Realty Inc. haven't been returned so far.

On May 2, Svazas told me work was being done at the property and that he's hoping for a June opening date.

"I just don't know if there's going to be more problems," Svazas says. "Every time we get close, something happens. I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess, is the word to use. I refuse to get my hopes up about this because there have been so many problems."

Ottawa's food community has been supportive, Svazas says. In April, Marc Lepine at Atelier let Svazas use the Atelier kitchen for a preview dinner, and Svazas says it felt good to get in a kitchen and cook for others.

But what he really wants, of course, is to open the doors and start generating revenue after making hundreds of thousands of dollars in investments for the restaurant.

A different story at MēNa on Preston Street

MēNa sommellier Samuel James, conversely, says he's had it relatively easy. He's part of the team running the Preston Street restaurant, which opened Feb. 12 in the deepest, darkest trough of the city's restaurant season.

Sommellier Samuel James and the rest of the MēNa team had a relatively easy time opening the Preston Street restaurant. (Provided photo)
It was a deliberate choice. James says the initial quiet allowed the team to work out some of the "growing pains" associated with opening a new restaurant.

But of course, the quiet has its downsides, especially for a team of young and ambitious 20-somethings.

"It can be frustrating, just kind of waiting around, because we know that we have something good and we're like, why aren't there any butts in seats as much as we'd like to [see]? But I know that we will be very busy soon," James says.

Very unlike Svazas's situation with Fauna, it took the MēNa team about six months to open their doors.

"We got really lucky. A couple of restaurants in the city didn't get as much luck as we did. ... I think within six months of talking about opening a restaurant to opening day, that's all it took," James says.

And while it was certainly a lot easier than what's happening at Fauna, James says it was still difficult. Hundreds of little things have to come together, hopefully on time, to ensure success. 

"It is a lot more work than anybody could ever think. You've got to put your heart and soul into it. It's like a child, especially from our perspective. We don't have kids, so this is our baby."


Kristy Nease


CBC Ottawa reporter Kristy Nease (she/her) has covered news in the capital for nearly 15 years, and previously worked at the Ottawa Citizen. She is particularly interested in long reads on climate, intimate partner violence and the courts. Get in touch:


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?