Ottawa

Family of fire victims receive 'wild' wave of support

A mother and daughter who lost their home, belongings and family pet in a fire Tuesday have been overwhelmed by an outpouring of support.

Mother, daughter left homeless by fire that also claimed their dog

Carmen Mayer lost everything after a fire ravaged her home overnight Tuesday. (CBC)

A mother and daughter who lost their home, belongings and family pet in a fire Tuesday have been overwhelmed by an outpouring of support.

Carmen Mayer’s south Ottawa apartment was destroyed in the blaze, along with the family’s possessions and their dog, Bella. Mayer's eight-year-old daughter was at her grandmother's house that night.

"People here have been incredible, just beyond incredible," Mayer said.

The Lord Elgin hotel, where the pair has been staying with the help of the Red Cross, put out a call for donations on social networks Thursday.

The response has been overwhelming, said Ann Meelker, the hotel’s director of sales and marketing.

"We’ve gotten probably about 20 bags of clothing, we’ve got household goods, we’ve had a woman call with a household of furniture that she’s willing to give and we had one woman come in his morning with her two girls and gave us $500 in cash," Meelker said. 

"The generosity has been wild and it’s a testament to how viral that can be when you put in on Twitter and Facebook and a good community," said Meelker.

Despite the outpouring of support, Mayer said she's still in shock over the loss of her dog Bella and all of her possessions.

"I keep thinking I am going to go home, but there is no home," she said.

The fire was caused by an oil-based Glade scented candle.

now