Demolition of Frank Clair south side stands begins
Mayor Jim Watson was in attendance to kick-off the demolition of the upper-levels of the south-side stands, which were built in the 1970s.
The lower south-side stands were demolished in 2008 using explosives. This time a crew is using giant hydraulic sheers in order to recycle the material.
Frank Clair Stadium was home to the Canadian Football League's Ottawa Rough Riders from 1908 to 1996 and to the Ottawa Renegades from 2002 to 2005. The stadium was also the home of the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees football team.
The stadium is set to undergo a refurbishment as part of the $300-million renovation of Lansdowne Park.
The demolition of the south-side stands should be finished by mid-January. Some of the seats will be used to build the new Rink of Dreams skating rink outside city hall.